Tuesday, July 27, 2010

To Kill A Mockingbird

I just finished To Kill A Mockingbird...again. I love this book. It is possibly one of my most favorite books that I have ever read. Why? Because it's beautifully written. I first had to read this book for Junior Honors English and I was expecting another boring required reading list novel. But then I fell in love. I fell in love with it so much that I saw a copy of it at Barnes & Noble and my wonderful mother bought it for me and I found it sitting on my bedside table when I came back from Cedar Badge. If you haven't read it, you really should. It's captivating. It's funny. It's sad. It makes you think. There's so many things to love. Like the character of Scout. She's spunky, sassy, tom-boyish, mischievous, innocently trusting, and you can't help but fall in love with her. The mysteries that surround Boo Radley grows until you get to the climax of the novel. The relationship between Jem and Scout. The descriptions of a childhood summer. The crisis that rocks a small town. I love it all! The back of my copy describes the book as, "Compassionate, dramatic, and deeply moving, To Kill a Mockingbird takes readers to the roots of human behavior-to innocence and experience, kindness and cruelty, love and hatred, humor and pathos...Harper Lee always considered her book to be a simple love story. Today it is regarded as a masterpiece of American literature." This book is so good. I always get the chills when I read the last few pages because they always catch me. It's so deep and it really makes you think. Harper Lee captures everything in those last few chapters and you'll have an 'Ah-ha' moment. If you've already read this and you hate it, too bad because in my humble opinion you're missing out. But if you haven't? Go read it now. You'll probably thank me later (:

Photobucket
P.S.
The movie's not bad either. Gregory Peck makes a pretty good Atticus.

0 comments: